Detoxifying does not necessarily mean juicing and going on a diet. Detoxing is about cleansing the whole body of environmental pollutants, food waste, bacteria, and toxins. Things like medications and alcohol also need to be flushed from the body. When the body becomes unhealthy and overweight, it can put its systems in a chronically stressed state, leading to nerve energy production failure, fatigue, a weakened immune system, and disease. The body constantly works to cleanse itself. Exercise helps expedite the process.
Exercise To Detoxify
Exercise removes harmful toxins by getting the lungs and the blood pumping and increasing sweat production, which encourages detoxification. More blood circulating throughout the body allows the liver and the lymph nodes to flush out toxins properly. With exercise, fluid intake increases, allowing more sweat production to release toxins. Drinking more water during workouts also helps the kidneys function at optimal levels to flush out toxins, fats, and waste.
Any low-intensity aerobic exercise that increases heart rate and increases heavier breathing is recommended as long as the breathing is within the fat-burning heart rate. Exercises can be anything from:
- Elliptical trainer
- Bike riding
Bouncing on a mini-trampoline, also known as rebounding, is another form of exercise that promotes toxin release. The low-impact motion stimulates the lymphatic system. Lymph nodes filter substances and fight off infections by attacking bacteria/germs that travel into the lymph fluid. Twenty minutes on the trampoline two or three times a week to detoxify.
There are yoga poses that help to detoxify specific organs. Yoga can help the body cleanse inside and generate more energy.
This pose stimulates the liver, spleen, digestive system, improves spinal alignment, and tones the abdominals.
- Start with the feet together or hip-width apart, depending on what is most comfortable.
- Bend the knees as if sitting in a chair.
- The knees should be aligned with the center of the feet.
- Place the palms of the hands together in a prayer position at the center of the heart.
- Bring the elbow to the opposite knee.
- Squeeze the shoulder blades together.
- Allow the chest to open up.
This pose improves circulation, stretches, and strengthens the low back, hips, hamstrings, and calves.
- Step with the feet 3 to 4 feet apart.
- Hands-on hips.
- Lift tall through the whole torso.
- Fold slowly over the legs.
- Bend from the hip joints without rounding the lower back.
- If the back starts to round, stop folding forward.
Sweating and Detoxing
Sweat is one of the body’s primary ways of eliminating toxins. However, more sweat does not mean more toxins are being flushed. Excess sweat could be caused by the body overheating and can lead to dehydration. This is why it’s vital to maintain the body’s hydration levels while working out. Fluids like juice and sports drinks can help maintain hydration, but they contain sugar and other ingredients that could interfere with thorough detoxifying.
Before Starting A Detox Diet
Individuals are recommended to talk with their doctor, nutritionist, health coach about detox diet methods to lose and maintain weight.
Talk with a doctor
- Seek consultation with a physician before starting any body detox cleanse, especially if there are underlying medical conditions like diabetes or kidney disease.
- For individuals struggling with obesity, a physician can recommend alternative diet approaches and exercise programs.
- Detox diets work primarily through caloric restriction like a conventional diet.
- Individuals could feel better from a body cleanse because they will likely be avoiding processed foods and empty calories.
Adopt a long-term frame of mind
- Diet and exercise to achieve and maintain a healthy weight is a lifelong journey.
- Detox diets can be a helpful tool to get going in the right direction.
Ernst, E. “Alternative detox.” British medical bulletin vol. 101 (2012): 33-8. doi:10.1093/bmb/lds002
Klein, A V, and H Kiat. “Detox diets for toxin elimination and weight management: a critical review of the evidence.” Journal of human nutrition and dietetics: the official journal of the British Dietetic Association vol. 28,6 (2015): 675-86. doi:10.1111/jhn.12286
Obert, Jonathan et al. “Popular Weight Loss Strategies: a Review of Four Weight Loss Techniques.” Current gastroenterology reports vol. 19,12 61. 9 Nov. 2017, doi:10.1007/s11894-017-0603-8
The information herein on "Exercising To Detoxify and Cleanse The Body" is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional, licensed physician, and is not medical advice. We encourage you to make your own health care decisions based on your research and partnership with a qualified health care professional.
Our information scope is limited to chiropractic, musculoskeletal, physical medicines, wellness, sensitive health issues, functional medicine articles, topics, and discussions. We provide and present clinical collaboration with specialists from a wide array of disciplines. Each specialist is governed by their professional scope of practice and their jurisdiction of licensure. We use functional health & wellness protocols to treat and support care for the injuries or disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
Our videos, posts, topics, subjects, and insights cover clinical matters, issues, and topics that relate to and support, directly or indirectly, our clinical scope of practice.*
Our office has made a reasonable attempt to provide supportive citations and has identified the relevant research study or studies supporting our posts. We provide copies of supporting research studies available to regulatory boards and the public upon request.
We understand that we cover matters that require an additional explanation of how it may assist in a particular care plan or treatment protocol; therefore, to further discuss the subject matter above, please feel free to ask Dr. Alex Jimenez or contact us at 915-850-0900.
We are here to help you and your family.
Dr. Alex Jimenez DC, MSACP, CIFM*, IFMCP*, ATN*, CCST
My Digital Business Card