A certified/licensed massage therapist performs chiropractic therapeutic massage under the direction of a chiropractor to soothe tense muscles, release pressure on the nerve/s, break up scar tissue and stimulate the release of endorphins. Studies have shown that a therapeutic chiropractic massage is as effective as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain relief caused by various musculoskeletal conditions, including sciatica. Although medications can work for a time, they do not deal with the underlying cause of sciatica.
Table of Contents
A sciatica massage offers several benefits that include the following:
- Improved and increased blood circulation.
- Lowered blood pressure.
- Release of hormones that help reduce anxiety, depression, and pain.
- Relieves body discomfort and soreness by decreasing the activation of pain receptors in the spine and muscles.
- Inflammation alleviation.
- Muscle stress relief.
- Muscle relaxation.
- Flare-up relief and prevention.
- Improves sleep.
Each type of massage is designed for a different purpose.
- Improves mobility and reduces pain.
- Stretches tendons, ligaments, and muscles.
- Focuses on the musculoskeletal system to improve mobility.
- A deeper massage that targets connective tissues like ligaments and tendons.
Deep Tissue Massage
- Designed to reach the deep layers to realign the muscles and fascia.
- Releases trigger points, adhesions, and nerve endings.
Most cases of sciatica resolve in less than 4 to 6 weeks with conservative treatment. More severe cases with neurologic symptoms can have a longer recovery period.
- Alleviates discomfort, numbness, tingling, pain, and other symptoms.
- The pain is reduced so the chiropractor and therapists can begin to address the cause, although the other symptoms and sensations could still be experienced.
- If muscle spasms are present, they will be less frequent and with less intensity.
- The individual can focus on functioning within their normal environment.
- The chiropractor and therapists examine if they can get up and stand from a chair without problems, get in and out of a car, sit for longer periods, and walk with less discomfort.
- A reflex test will be performed to analyze how the healing process is coming along.
- If there is significant nerve damage, reflexes could be lessened.
- For example, if sciatic inflammation is present, and the Achilles tendon is tapped with a reflex hammer, there could be little or no movement of the calf muscles.
- If there is an improvement, there will be a healthy reflex.
- The straight leg test will show if the individual can lift their leg with little or no pain.
- The final healing phase provides the ability of normal movements and full strength.
- This is when the individual can resume normal activities, specifically those stopped because of the pain.
- This can include walking, driving, house chores, sports, or working out.
Contact our office for treatment options customized to the individual and their injury.
Camino Willhuber GO, Piuzzi NS. Straight Leg Raise Test. [Updated 2022 June 22]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK539717/
Chang C, Jeno SH, Varacallo M. Anatomy, Bony Pelvis, and Lower Limb, Piriformis Muscle. [Updated 2022 October 3]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519497/
Davis D, Maini K, Vasudevan A. Sciatica. [Updated 2022 May 6]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507908/
Marian Majchrzycki, Piotr Kocur, Tomasz Kotwicki, “Deep Tissue Massage and Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs for Low Back Pain: A Prospective Randomized Trial,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2014, Article ID 287597, 7 pages, 2014. doi.org/10.1155/2014/287597
Miller, Kenneth Jeffrey. “Physical assessment of lower extremity radiculopathy and sciatica.” Journal of chiropractic medicine vol. 6,2 (2007): 75-82. doi:10.1016/j.jcme.2007.04.001
The Centralization Phenomenon in Chiropractic Spinal Manipulation of Discogenic Low Back Pain and Sciatica. chiro.org/Low_Back_Pain/The_Centralization_Phenomenon.shtml. Accessed October 22, 2022.
The information herein on "Sciatica Massage: Chiropractic Scientists" is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional or licensed physician and is not medical advice. We encourage you to make healthcare decisions based on your research and partnership with a qualified healthcare professional.
Our information scope is limited to Chiropractic, musculoskeletal, physical medicines, wellness, contributing etiological viscerosomatic disturbances within clinical presentations, associated somatovisceral reflex clinical dynamics, subluxation complexes, sensitive health issues, and/or functional medicine articles, topics, and discussions.
We provide and present clinical collaboration with specialists from various disciplines. Each specialist is governed by their professional scope of practice and their jurisdiction of licensure. We use functional health & wellness protocols to treat and support care for the injuries or disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
Our videos, posts, topics, subjects, and insights cover clinical matters, issues, and topics that relate to and directly or indirectly support our clinical scope of practice.*
Our office has reasonably attempted to provide supportive citations and has identified the relevant research study or studies supporting our posts. We provide copies of supporting research studies available to regulatory boards and the public upon request.
We understand that we cover matters that require an additional explanation of how it may assist in a particular care plan or treatment protocol; therefore, to further discuss the subject matter above, please feel free to ask Dr. Alex Jimenez, DC, or contact us at 915-850-0900.
We are here to help you and your family.
Dr. Alex Jimenez DC, MSACP, RN* CIFM*, IFMCP*, ATN*, CCST
My Digital Business Card